You can also help support Elizabeth Gaskell’s House by joining our Friends group.
Since 2004 The Friends group has been supporting the rescue and restoration of 84 Plymouth Grove and continues to play an active and vital role in raising money to maintain and develop the House and Garden. By becoming a Friend, you will be contributing towards the preservation of this important Manchester Literary Treasure for future generations to enjoy.
As a Friend of Elizabeth Gaskell’s House, you can enjoy the following benefits:
• Regular newsletters.
• Priority notice of forthcoming events.
• The opportunity to attend Friends-only social events and meet like-minded people.
• The opportunity to volunteer and participate in the running of the House, the garden or special events.
• Supporting special projects and new displays.
• Learning and opportunities through talks and lectures.
• Visits to other historic buildings.
• Access to special interest groups – research group, conservation cleaning group.
• Sharing a love of Elizabeth Gaskell and her works.
• The opportunity to support the beautiful home of the Gaskells and ensure it continues to thrive.
The friends are members of the Manchester Historic Buildings Trust and are invited to the annual AGM.
Email us for further details firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Friends’ Events
Friends members are given priority booking for these events. If there are any spare places available near to the time of the event, they are released to non-Friends.
Florence Nightingale – An Illustrated Talk by Aled Jones
Thursday 3 October 7.30pm
Find out about the real person behind the well-known legend. Includes supper at 6.30, with the talk from 7.30 to 8.30pm.
Booking now available for Friends members via the Friends-only page.
Saturday 30 November, 2pm
Past Friends’ Events
July 2019. Visit to Brantwood House in Coniston – former home of John Ruskin.
June 2019. Friends’ Open Day. Talks and tours showcasing the latest objects and developments in the House and the Garden.
March 2019. “Elizabeth Gaskell’s House and Me – The Interior Restoration.” A talk and tour by Dorian Church, curator, about the interior refurbishment project at Elizabeth Gaskell’s House.
December 2018. “The Victorian Christmas.” Christmas Customs, Literature, Decorations and Christmas Carols, a lunch of Christmas Pie with trimmings and Tea with Twelfth Night cake and mince pies.
Please consider joining The Friends of Elizabeth Gaskell’s House and becoming part of an enthusiastic team of people who are passionate about preserving one of Manchester’s Literary Treasures.
You can join the Friends for a minimum contribution of £10 per year
Or contact 0161 273 2215 or email@example.com
I think we shall be great friends. Mrs Hamley to Molly Gibson in Wives and Daughters