Elizabeth Gaskell’s House offers private and bespoke group tours on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays – this must be booked in advance.
- Prices start from £10 which includes a guided tour, a drink and slice of cake in the tearoom
- Group tours and visits last between 1-2 hours
- Groups of between 10 and 60 people can be accommodated in the house and garden at once
- Bespoke tours including the Gaskell’s home life, Victorian Manchester and Elizabeth Gaskell’s literary career.
- Coaches can drop off directly outside the house
- Disabled parking available onsite
- Up to three hours free on-street parking
- Fully accessible with lifts to all floors
- Just five minutes from the Pankhurst Centre, The Whitworth Art Gallery, Victoria Baths and Oxford Road
- One mile from central Manchester
- Pre-booked lunch available
- Shop selling new and second-hand books, and gifts.
Coach parking: The house is on the corner of Swinton Grove and Plymouth Grove. Coaches can safely drop off on Swinton Grove so coach visitors do not need to cross a road. The house has 3 gates; 1 at the rear of the house and 2 at the front. Coaches should be able to find parking for up to 3 hours locally. They can also park directly opposite the house on Plymouth Grove with no restrictions although there is not a designated crossing.
Please call us on 0161 273 2215 or fill out the form below for more information, availability and prices.
Group Visits on Public Open Days
We are open to the Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. 11am-4.30pm (last entry 4pm)
If you plan to visit the house as a group on a public open day please let us know you are coming so we may be able to reserve tables for your group to have refreshments together.
Please call us for more information on 0161 2732215 or email email@example.com
External Talks and Lectures
Our expert volunteer guides are available to give talks on Elizabeth Gaskell, her house, garden and other areas of interest. We request a donation of £50 per talk and travel expenses for the volunteer.