Our expert and knowledgeable volunteers are available to give a variety of external talks about the house and other related areas of interest.
We request a donation of £50 per talk and travel expenses. Talks are subject to availability and location.
Our speakers can combine their talks with a PowerPoint presentation or just talk. We can bring a projector and laptop but will require a screen.
Elizabeth Gaskell’s House can provide speakers on the following subjects which last between 45 mins to an hour.
- Introduction to Elizabeth Gaskell: writer and woman
- 84 Plymouth Grove and its restoration
- The Gaskell Family and Homelife
- Elizabeth and Travel
- The Servants’ at 84 Plymouth Grove
- The Gaskells and the cultural life of Victorian Manchester
- Mary Barton and Manchester
- Elizabeth Gaskell and her Cheshire connections
- A Letter to William: Reconstructing the Past – a talk about the letter discovered during the renovation work (new for 2018)
- The Restoration of the Garden at Elizabeth Gaskell’s House (new for 2018)
- The Gaskells and Gardens (new for 2018)
- How did their Garden grow? The Gaskells’ Garden at Plymouth Grove (from March 2018)
- Elizabeth Gaskell the farmer? (from October 2018)
This list is by no means exhaustive and with enough notice we are able to consider other themes and subjects – just ask.
Please email email@example.com indicating the date you would like a speaker, the subject matter and the location of your event.
Elizabeth Gaskell’s House is run by Manchester Historic Buildings Trust (charity no. 1080606) and all money gained through private tours, talks, room hire and ticket sales goes towards the ongoing maintenance and running costs of the house. If you would like to support the house with an additional donation you can do so via this link.