The perfect historic setting for an intimate wedding in the heart of Manchester.
Situated just outside the hustle and bustle of Manchester City Centre, sits the former home of Manchester’s most famous Victorian writer, Elizabeth Gaskell. This beautifully restored Victorian house, with spectacular period rooms and villa style garden, provides a unique and stunning backdrop for your wedding celebrations.
Ceremonies can be held in the cosy book-lined Study, the elegant Drawing Room, or the award-winning Garden. Complete with Victorian furnishings and a boudoir grand piano, Elizabeth Gaskell’s House is perfect for couples wanting something special, intimate and with plenty of charm.
Following the ceremony, we can provide a drinks reception in the Victorian period rooms, including the Dining Room where Elizabeth wrote her famous stories and letters. Weather permitting, the beautifully restored garden with its mixed heritage and native planting schemes offers another option for your drinks reception and is a beautiful backdrop for wedding photographs.
Our light and airy basement includes the original Servants’ Hall and kitchen, providing the perfect space for your wedding celebrations including wedding breakfast and reception.
- Our dedicated wedding coordinators will help you throughout the planning process.
- Couples have exclusive hire of the house on their wedding day.
- We only hold weddings on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- We can accommodate wedding parties of up to 36 people.
- Our bottle bar is available (minimum spend of £100) but all catering must be provided externally.
- Elizabeth Gaskell’s House is located just 1 mile from Manchester city centre.
- Up to 3 hours free on-street parking on weekdays and free all day at weekends.
For more information, or to view the venue, please contact our wedding coordinators by completing the enquiry form below. Alternatively, email email@example.com or call 0161 273 2215.
We are now fully booked between April and August 2024. However, we have plenty of availability for September 2024 onwards. Please enquire below.