Online Zoom Tours for Groups
We are delighted to offer online tours for the House for groups via Zoom.
Using 360-degree photography our guides will take your group through the House, room by room with the chance to ask questions throughout. This tour will last approx. 1.5 hours depending on group size and the number of questions asked. Available at any time – subject to the availability of guides.
Up to 20 people – £150
21-50 people – £250
Payment to be made via Paypal or BACs in advance.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to book
Tours in the House
Due to the pandemic we cannot currently offer groups tours. However we are taking bookings for later 2021 and 2022.
Elizabeth Gaskell’s House offers private and bespoke group tours on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays*- this must be booked in advance.
- Prices start from £13 per person which includes a guided tour, a drink and slice of cake in the tearoom
- Group tours and visits last 2 hours with refreshments
- Groups of between 10 and 60 people can be accommodated in the house and garden at once (minimum of 10 people in a group*)
- Bespoke tours on offer; Gaskell’s home life, Victorian Manchester and Elizabeth Gaskell’s literary career.
- Coaches can drop off directly outside the house
- Disabled parking available onsite
- Up to three hours free on-street parking
- Fully accessible with lifts to all floors
- Just five minutes from the Pankhurst Centre (closed until summer 2021), The Whitworth Art Gallery, Victoria Baths and Oxford Road
- One mile from central Manchester
- Pre-booked lunch available
- Shop selling new and second-hand books, and gifts.
Coach parking: The house is on the corner of Swinton Grove and Plymouth Grove. Coaches can safely drop off on Swinton Grove so coach visitors do not need to cross a road. The house has 3 gates; 1 at the rear of the house and 2 at the front. Coaches should be able to find parking for up to 3 hours locally. They can also park directly opposite the house on Plymouth Grove with no restrictions although there is not a designated crossing.
Please call us on 0161 273 2215 or fill out the form below for more information, availability and prices. Please note for all groups we ask for a 50% deposit one month in advance of your visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions for Group Bookings before booking.
*On Saturdays we ask for a minimum fee of £200 per tour.
“We were very impressed with the guides’ knowledge of Elizabeth and her family which brought the house to life. The lunch buffet was delicious and plentiful and the volunteers worked very hard to ensure that our plates and cups were kept full.” North Staffs National Trust members Group
Evening Tours and Specialist Group Workshops
If your group or book club is looking for something a bit different we can also offer evening tours with a drinks reception and other bespoke group workshops for 15 people or less. For more information click here
Group Visits on Public Open Days
We are open to the public on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. 11am-4.30pm (last entry 4pm). Smaller groups are welcome on these days but you are asked to pre-book via the online ticket system.
Please call us for more information on 0161 2732215 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
External Talks and Lectures
Our expert volunteer guides are available to give talks on Elizabeth Gaskell, her house, garden and other areas of interest, these can be done via Zoom or when restrictions life, in person. We request a donation of £65 per talk (including Zoom talks) and travel expenses for talks in person. Email email@example.com for more information.
Elizabeth Gaskell’s House is run by Manchester Historic Buildings Trust (charity no. 1080606) and all money gained through private tours, room hire and ticket sales goes towards the ongoing maintenance and running costs of the house. If you would like to support the house with an additional donation you can do so via this link.