Elizabeth Gaskell’s House – Christmas Quiz
19th December 2021
Our volunteer and staff team love a good quiz and so we’ve put together the following Gaskell family related quiz to test their and your knowledge. Be warned there are some tricky questions! but for those who get all the answers correct you could win a copy of North and South. Good luck!
- What’s the connection between Peter Rabbit and William Gaskell?
- What’s the connection between a famous Manchester orchestra and the Gaskell Family?
- Which member of the Gaskell family was described as having ‘no talents under the sun’?
- What was the name of the tenant who lived in the House before the Gaskell family?
- Alexander Nasymyth painted ‘River Landscape with Ruined Castle’ which hangs above the fireplace in the Drawing Room. His son James, who was a friends of the Gaskells, was the inventor of what?
- Who painted the Portrait of William Gaskell in the Study at Elizabeth Gaskell’s House?
- What was Elizabeth Gaskell’s nickname?
- Meta Gaskell was a talented painter. Which famous Victorian polymath tutored her?
- What is the name of the Nightingale House in Derbyshire where EG was staying and grappling with North and South when Florence Nightingale got the call to go to the Crimea?
- In what year did Meta and Julia buy the della Robbia altarpiece to donate to the Whitworth Art Gallery?
- A Lancashire dialect question – if you were ‘spitting feathers and needing some corporation pop‘ what would be going on?
- Wives and Daughters was serialised in which publication?
- Meta Gaskell went away to school in Liverpool. Who ran the school and what was her connection to the Gaskell circle?
Send your answers to email@example.com before the 3 January 2022. Correct answers will be added to a draw and random winner selected. Winners will be contacted by email and a copy of North & South posted out. Sorry but we can only accept entries from the UK and you must be over 18. Good luck!
Closing date: 3 January 2021.